COVID-19

This pandemic is getting out of hand. Even before it really hit SoCal many people were already buying things more often than usual. And now that almost everyone is preparing to be on lockdown there's nothing left for everyone else to buy. Why does one household need 6 packs of toilet paper? And not even the small packs but the ones with like 18 rolls? Are you so full of shit that you need that much toilet paper? My household is on the verge of running out of toilet paper. It was only luck that my brother found a small pack in the go-backs at work and was able to buy it. Dorothy has asked me to buy her a pack if I find one and she'll just pay me back. My brother found another pack and bought it for his friend yesterday.

Hand sanitizer has been gone for weeks if not longer. Cold medicine has just recently been sold out. And now people have been buying foods to stock up on. I still don't understand why they prioritized toilet paper...over food... My mom and I finally had a chance to really go grocery shopping this past weekend and boy, that was an experience. Every store we went to, half the store's shelves were empty of stock. Meat was sold out, frozen meals were barely there, cleaning supplies are gone, long shelf life items way gone... people are preparing for an apocalypse it seems. Some customers even asked an associate if she was ready. Ready for what? To be stuck at home except for when extremely necessary?

I wish I could practice social distancing. I'm all set for that! Books to be read, yarn to be crocheted, and food to be eaten! I'm set to stay at home! But because I work in retail, and not even an unessential retail, I have to go to work like I normally would. I'm constantly in contact with other people because of where I work. The only good thing is that they lessened the hours that the store is open to allow more time to clean up and restock without customers getting in the way. Also, they decided to not penalize any associates who call out during this time. So, yay? I barely called out anyway so doesn't really affect me. They told us to clean the registers at least once every hour if not more if necessary. Which sucks for me because I have to clean four registers at self check out. And since I can't close them off all at once, it can take me up to half an hour just to clean those.

Some of us at work were joking around that once this is all over, people are going to come back with all these toilet paper packs and cleaning supplies to return because they need the money on April 1 for rent. Which it's sad but also most likely to be true. It's happened at Christmas. As soon as they no longer needed the trees, they tried returning them. Even though it was February!

That's it for now. I have to shower before work.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can you guys apply for unemployment/partial unemployment? I was able to when I was getting paid less than what unemployment was paying me. Look into it bc it might help now that your hours have been affected. Despite going into work as normal, your store operations are shorter which means less chances to work for you guys. You might be able to qualify! The worst that can happen is they say no.
Abbey said…
I'll definitely have to look into that because my mom's job hasn't been told if they're going to close the store for now and if they do, will they be paid during that time... It's going to be a close call for a while going on. Hopefully they will be paid but I'm pretty sure my mom will qualify for partial because she's going to lose her tips income even if they pay her.