Wally's World

Yo! This is up sooner than I thought it would be but I'm bored so I figured I might as well. This time it's all about my stupid work. Jacque's going to be reading this for about the third time when she gets my letter

Shortly before the holidays, I noticed that my hours at work were slowly decreasing. They weren't even consistently decreasing so I thought nothing of it until it became the new year. Ever since then my hours have been under 20 hours a week when I used to work 30. Some weeks have even been less than 15 a week. We did receive a pay raise because of the new minimum wage in Cali but that is useless when we don't even work the same number of hours. Management told us that it would only be for the month of January but it is now halfway through February and nothing has gone back to normal. If anything, it has gotten worse.

It's gotten to the point that I'm thinking of finding a new job but I don't know where to begin looking. I'm tired of retail but once again, it's the only thing I know how to do. I was considering working for Disney's hotel as a receptionist but I have no previous experience and I don't even know what that position would even entail. I suppose I could always ask Dorothy as she used to work at a hotel... My other option was going to Costco and apply as a self-checkout host. Apparently the Costco somewhat near me has self-checkout so it wouldn't be too different from what I do now.

Before I actually decide on staying or not, I told one of the support managers and she said that she would call me to work in a different department whenever she can and I'm not already scheduled in the front.

I really can't keep going on like this. My most recent pay was a little under $300 and my upcoming one is just a little over $100 more than that. I wasn't even able to send money to my mom for rent that time. I feel bad about that because we agreed when we moved to our apartment that my brother and I would always send a set amount to her with each paycheck. That was the first time I wasn't able to do so. I don't even know if I can this coming pay because it's not that different and I will have bills automatically paid.

Well, that's all for now. I want to continue but writing about it has just stressed me out even more.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm sorry you're going through this! Soli is sort of going through the same thing & it's stressing her out since we are going to have to pay rent when we move this summer. I only had barista experience before working for the service office at Nissan. I got the job because in my cover letter, resume, and interview I said that my retail experience translates well due to the fact that I have customer service experience with many different kinds of people. I said that I knew how to handle difficult customers and how to make their experiences with myself/the company positive with the problem solving skills I gained in retail. Whether or not that was actually true, it definitely impressed my old boss and her boss enough to hire me haha. You can try to spin that to your advantage as well if you decide to apply to a hotel or something like that! (: I hope things end up working out for you. You definitely deserve better, and we both know that in the retail world EVERYONE is replaceable. LOVE YOU!
Abbey said…
Poor Soli! Has she been looking for another job too? Even if you guys are leaving in the summer, the few months of more work should help out a lot!

I wonder how I could twist my experience. I'm not even officially training as CSM so that wouldn't be on my resume... it's kind of sad. They have me cover extremely rarely but I know so much of what that position entails because they trust me with the knowledge and I can't even put it down on paper...

RETAIL sucks! But, it's all I know.
Anonymous said…
I think since you work in an environment that has customers, anything you do can be considered CS. Even when you were on register that's still CS. (:
Abbey said…
That opens up so many more possibilities then... I can go into food as a hostess... hotel receptionist... hospital receptionist after... even a bank teller since I have experience with money... hmm... so many periods!
Anonymous said…
Yeah!! See! Don't trap yourself in a little box. As crappy as retail is, you learn a lot about customer service and problem solving (or at least you can pretend you learned it hahaha)
Abbey said…
HAHAHAHA FAKE IT TIL YOU MAKE IT! :D